Building a future through learning
What is Thriving Scholars?
Thriving Scholars is TARA’s education program. Some of the work includes:
- Scholarships for secondary (middle and high school) and university students
- Secondary school needs assessment and support
- After school tutoring
- Internships opportunities for our college grads to give back to the community
What’s the benefit?
Education is a sure fire way to help an individual, a family and a community rise out of poverty. Education:
- Increases economic opportunity
- Reduces under 5 child deaths
- Improves women’s empowerment – educated girls tend to marry later, have a say in family decisions and budgets
- Decreases risk of partner violence
- Decreases risk of HIV/AIDS
Our work helps the next generation. Through scholarships and school support, these children have the opportunity to grow up to be change makers for their families and communities. Investing in education is sustainability at its best.
How you can help
- Invest in a young person’s education. It costs TARA about $200 a year to send a child to secondary school.
- Tell your friends and share our work on Face Book
- Shop using our links — it costs you nothing and we get a donation!
in the spotlight: Akinyi
We met Akinyi in 2004, living in a one room home with her mother and sisters. Even though she lived near a school, she could not afford to attend it.
The community recommended Akinyi for a scholarship because of her academic potential and financial need. She shined in school – becoming Head Girl and a peer counselor. Akinyi also tutored younger students.
Today, she is a high school graduate with a full time job that helps support her family and is considered a role model and youth leader in the community.